Controls (Instrumentation and Controls Technicians)
Contact The Customer Service Centre
with your service requests and inquiries
Hours of operation:
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
After hours, weekends & emergencies:
contact Protective Services 966-5555
Have a zone question?
Call your Zone Customer Service Agent directly
|Zone 1 - Sonia Bayda||966-3291|
|Zone 2 - Kristie Tempel-Briske||966-3292|
|Zone 3 - Cheryle Burback||966-3293|
|Zone 4 - Joyce Armstrong||966-3294|
|Zone 5 - Laine Nimmo||966-3295|
|Zone 6 - Jackie Nixey||966-3296|
The Controls shop is staffed by licensed Red Seal Instrumentation and controls technicians, a controls operator, and a supervisor. They provide service and maintenance to the vast network of building automation systems and their associated control devices and the indoor environments they control. The shop also provides critical support for the control processes in the production of steam and chilled water in the Central Heating/Chilling Plant. A strong emphasis is placed on controlling major equipment to provide lower energy consumption and stable and comfortable living environments.
Following is a list of services provided:
- Investigate, troubleshoot, and correct problems in a variety of indoor environments that affect temperature, flow, pressure, level, etc.
- Initiate, direct and coordinate further investigations and problem solving measures as required with the Customer Service Centre and other FMD trades staff.
- Monitor the building automation systems and their controlled environments by configuring, running and reviewing daily alarm reports, special trend reports, critical alarm reports as well as reviewing various real time displays.
- Work with others as an integral part of the commissioning team, contributing by configuring building automation system databases, testing functional performance and loop tuning.
- Report out of service notices for equipment and the areas affected to Customer Service Centre.
- Record and monitor any temporary outages, malfunctions or breakdowns and follow up with corrective action including any coordinated efforts with other trades staff.
- Update system documentation (drawings, database, manuals, etc) for any permanent changes necessary to improved functioning of the building automation systems
- Ensure that ventilation is scheduled to meet seasonal variations of the academic calendar, the demands of construction activities and varying needs of the campus community, while respecting the goals of energy conservation.
- Coordinate and monitor the emergency generator test run procedure and follow up on any database problems and reload databases as required.
- Coordinate annual fire alarm drills with Workplace Safety and Environmental Protection, the Saskatoon Fire Department, and FMD Electrical Shop.
- Install, calibrate and commission automation components and related instrumentation including balancing of air and hydronic systems
- Provide regular preventative and corrective maintenance on all instrumentation and components related to building automation, heating/cooling automation and stand-alone electronic and pneumatic components related to HVAC controls
- Maintain instrumentation records and provide status reports
- Provide Instrumentation service on a fee-for-service basis