Health Sciences D Wing
The Health Sciences project is more than a building. This is the largest capital building project in the university’s history. It builds on our proud heritage, but will be an investment in the future of health and education in the province. While the building itself will be impressive, the research and teaching that will go on inside will attract the most talented medical personnel, educators, and researchers, who will provide better training for health professionals and increase the quality of care for all Saskatchewan people.
Constructed in 1948, the original Health Sciences Building (now referred to as A Wing) was built in the collegiate gothic style. Two additions (B Wing and C Wing) in the 1970s and 1980s were constructed in a brutalist style (from the French term béton brut, meaning raw concrete), which was common in that era but was inharmonious with the collegiate gothic style of the original building. Today, much of B Wing has been concealed by the new D Wing, which complements the university’s now characteristic collegiate gothic style.
Tremendous care was taken to match the new stone (over 1,700 square metres of Tyndall and 3,300 square metres of dolomite limestone) with the original 1948 stonework. This careful attention to detail secured the 2011 Masonry Construction Project of the Year Award in the Institutional category.
The new D Wing is a 18,680-square-metre, L-shaped structure with four storeys on the east side and six storeys on the north, joined by a corner “joint” or “knuckle.” The two sides wrap around the north and east sides of B Wing and are linked to the existing building by a six-story atrium and two smaller atria, which will provide natural light in the interior spaces of the building. The atria spaces will also provide visual and physical connections between new and existing construction and will become much needed interior community and collaborative space for Health Sciences.
Spaces within the D Wing include:
- Single level Vivarium to facilitate animal research
- Four floors of level 2 biocontainment research labs
- Interdisciplinary research and collaborative space
- Centralized support services
- Principal Investigator and Graduate Student office space
- One floor office and support space
- Two floors mechanical and service space to support animal research and lab functions
- Includes link via underground tunnel connection to the future Gordon Oakes Redbear Student Centre (at Wiggins Court) and through to the Arts/Place Riel tunnel.
Respecting the old while building new may also contribute to a silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. This designation would result from many different efforts, such as recycling building materials and sourcing locally, however the most interesting sustainable initiative might be the surface-level “green roof.” Two levels of basement extend beyond D Wing’s footprint in some areas, which proved to be a perfect opportunity for the development of a surface-level green “roof” patio.
D Wing is sometimes referred to as the Biomedical Wing. The occupants will primarily be biomedical researchers from medicine, pharmacy and nutrition, and the Saskatoon Cancer Centre and faculty associated with groups from other colleges. The building features large open research laboratories designed to foster interaction and support a multi-disciplinary workplace.
Many areas within D Wing are nearing completion. Final interior finishes are underway and some offices and laboratories are scheduled for occupancy starting in June 2012. General occupancy of offices and laboratories is scheduled to be essentially complete by the fall of 2012.