Our Buildings

Following is an alphabetical listing of buildings on the University of Saskatchewan campus with their historic and architectural significance (if it exists), images, a link to google maps with their exact locations and addresses.  

In 2013, a Heritage Register for the University of Saskatchewan was created to provide sound, practical guidance to achieve good conservation practice with respect to heritage assets at the university.  The Heritage Register exists in order to support heritage conservation and protect the physical assets of the university.  The register provides the University of Saskatchewan with consistent evidence of the historic and architectural significance of the buildings and sites listed below.  To review the criteria for heritage designation, heritage designations achieved by University of Saskatchewan buildings, a register of heritage assets including maps and summaries, plus more read “University of Saskatchewan Heritage Register introduction”.

A

B

C

D

E

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

Administration Building    

Heritage Information:  

The Administration Building was built in response to the slow decline of the MacKinnn Building, parts of which were declared unsafe due to structural failure in 1979.  The decision was made to build a new building adjacent to the old structure and construction began in 1985, with the building opening in 1987. To learn more about the heritage of the Administration Building click the pdf below.

Administration Building

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

105 Administration Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A2


Agriculture Building    

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

51 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A8


Agriculture Greenhouse    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

45 Innovation Boulevard
Saskatoon SK
S7N 2T8


Animal Science Building   including trailers 

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

72 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B5


Archaeology Building    

Heritage Information:  

Located between the Engineering Building and "The Bowl" and facing the landscaped courtyard known as the "Engineering Bowl" the Archaeology Building is a handsome stone building in the Collegiate Gothic style.  To read more about the heritage of the Archaeology Building see the pdf inserted below.

Archaeology Building

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

55 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B1


Arts Building    

Heritage Information:  Aspirations for an Arts Building began with the first president of the university,Walter Murray, who considered a building for the liberal arts integral to the idea of a university.  In 1930, architectural plans for Haultain Hall were put out for tender.  The depression of the 1930's intervened and plans for the building were first postponed, then cancelled due to economic duress. The Arts Building was built in stages between 1958 and 1967. To learn more about the heritage of the Arts Building click on the pdf below.

Arts Complex

Zone:  6
location:  View Map
Address:  

9 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A5


Athabasca Hall    

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

91 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E8


Biology Building    

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

112 Science Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E2


Bovine Teaching Unit    

Zone:  4
Address:  

101 Veterinary Court
Saskatoon SK


Crop Science Field Laboratory    

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

2101-108th Street W
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E7


Curling Rink    

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

65 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B1


Dental Clinic    

Heritage Information:  Designed by the firm Holliday-Scott Paine Architects, the Dental Clinic has been the home of the College of Dentristry since 1979.  Its principle designer, John Holliday-Scott, was a particularly talented architect who adapted the modernist sensibility of his time to the context and historical traditions of the university, in a characteristically inventive way, he re-framed the familiar materials of the campus and re-interpreted the traditions of the Collegiate Gothic style.  To learn more about the heritage of the Dental Clinic click on the pdf below.

Dental Clinic

Zone:  2
location:  View Map
Address:  

105 Wiggins Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E4


Diefenbaker Building    

Heritage Information:  The grave of John George Diefenbaker is located at the University of Saskatchewan, on the bank of the South Saskatchewan river and the grounds of the Diefenbaker Building.  Diefenbaker was Canada's 13th Prime Minister, serving from June 21, 1957 to April 22, 1963.  To learn more about the heritage of the grave of John Diefenbaker click on the pdf below.

Diefenbaker Grave Site

Zone:  6
location:  View Map
Address:  

101 Diefenbaker Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B8


Education Building    

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

28 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 0X1


Edwards School of Business Building    

Heritage Information:  The Commerce and Law Buildings were designed and constructed as part of a single project between 1965 and 1967. their architect was John Holliday-Scott, one of the most accomplished architects of his generation working in Saskatchewan.  Smooth cut Tyndall stone forms teh primary exterior cladding accented by dark purple glazed ceramic tile and grey porcelain enameled panels.  The Commerce Building was renamed the 'Edwards School of Business' in 2007. To learn more about the heritage of Edwards School of Business (Commerce) Building click on the pdf below.

Law Commerce Complex

Zone:  6
location:  View Map
Address:  

25 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A7


Emmanuel St. Chad Chapel    

Heritage Information:  The College of Emmanuel and St. Chad is an historica institution whoe inception predates the province and the University of Saskatchewan.  Emmanuel College nominally existed as the first univeristy in the province until 1907 when the provincial university  was establisihed.  The Chapel of St. Chad, as it was originally known, was designed by wedster, Forrester and Scott of saskatoon and constructed between 1965 and 1966. While the building's form and style still commemorate its previous role, the Emmanuel and St. Chad Chapel is no longer used as a church.  To learn more about the heritage of College of Emmanuel and St. Chad as well as The Cahpel of St. Chad click on the pdf below.

College of Emmanuel and St Chad

Zone:  2
location:  View Map
Address:  

1337 College Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B7


Engineering Building    

Heritage Information:  

The Engineering Building was originally built between 1910 and 1912 to house the Agricultural Engineering Department. It was built in the Collegiate Gothic style, similar to the rest of the campus, but in red brick rather than in ‘greystone.’ It was the first University of Saskatchewan building completed, and the structure was added to in 1913 and 1923 before fire devastated it on March 13, 1925. To learn more about the heritage of the Engineering Building click on the pdf below.

Engineering Building

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

57 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A9


General Purpose Building    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

124 Veterinary Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E3


Geology Building    

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

114 Science Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E2


Griffiths Stadium   Huskie Clubhouse, Concession, West Stands, Visitors Clubhouse 

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

Lot 2 ( Pay Parking Lot)
Saskatoon SK


Grounds greenhouse    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

125 Maintenance Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C4


Health Sciences Building    

Heritage Information:  The Health Sciences Building, now known as 'Health Sciences A Wing,' was the first medical building to be built at the University of Saskatchewan, completed in 1950.  The Health Sciences A Wing has heritage value as the cornerstone of the medical precinct at the university.Designed by architects Webster and Gilbert, this 4-storey Collegiate Gothic structure maintains a high degree of commemorative integrity.  To learn more about the heritage of the Health Sciences Building click on the pdf below.

Health Sciences Building

Zone:  2
location:  View Map
Address:  

107 Wiggins Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E5


Heating Plant    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

40 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B3


Horticulture Building    

Heritage Information:  

Built in 1916, the Horticulture Building is the former header house for a series of greenhouses, which are now demolished.  It holds heritage value due to its age, and as a cultural memory associated with the greenhouses and with the history of agricultural education and reserach at the U of S.  To read more on the heritage of the Horiculture Building click on the pdf below.

Horticulture Building

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

115 Gymnasium Place
Saskatoon SK


Horticulture Science Field Research Laboratory    

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

115 Gymnasium Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C2


International Vaccine Centre    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

117 Veterinary Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 2R3


John Mitchell Building    

Heritage Information:  The John Mitchell Building was one of two structures at the University of Saskachewan designed by Frank J. Martin of Portnall and Stock architects, and built at the same time, between 1947 and 1949.  Constructed in yellow brick, John Mitchell was originally used for agricultural education & research, and was located among other buildings housing the College of Agriculture.  To learn more about the heritage of the John Mitchell Building click on the link below.

John Mitchell Building

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

118 Science Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E2


Kinesiology Building   Physical Activity Complex 

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

87 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B3


Kirk Hall    

Heritage Information:  Kirk Hall is one of two buildings designed by Frank J. Martin of Portnall and Stock Associate Architects on campus built between 1947 and 1949.  Kirk Hall and the John Mitchell Building share many similarities in materials,form and detail.  Originally called the School of Agriculture Building, Kirk Hall was renamed in 1962 after Lawrence Eldrid Kirk, who served as Dean of Agriculture from 1937 to 1947.  To learn more about the heritage of Kirk Hall click on the pdf below.

Kirk Hall

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

117 Science Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C8


Law Building    

Heritage Information:  The Law and Commerce Buildings were designed and constructed as part of a single project between 1965 and 1967.  their architect was John Holliday-Scott of the Saskatoon firm Holliday-Scott & Associates.  Holliday-Scott was one of the most accomplished architects working in Saskatchewan at the time. The Law Building, in particular, is one of his best works.  To learn more about the heritage of the Law Building click on the pdf below.

Law Commerce Complex

Zone:  6
location:  View Map
Address:  

15 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A6


Little Stone School House    

Heritage Information:  In 1887 the Saskatoon Board of Trustees secured five lots for a permanent school site.  Later that year, the original Victoria School (now know as the Little Stone School House) became Saskatoon's first permanent school and its first public building in any capacity. By 1905, the one-room school house was no longer needed, as a two room school had been built to accommodate its growing student population.  To learn more about the heritage of the Little Stone School House click on the pdf below.

Little Stone School House

Zone:  6
location:  View Map

Marquis Hall    

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

97 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 4L3


McLean Hall    

Zone:  2
location:  View Map
Address:  

106 Wiggins Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E6


Memorial Gates    

Zone:  not currently zoned
location:  View Map

Memorial Union Building    

Heritage Information:  The Memorial Union Building (MUB), designed by Shore and Moffat Architects of Toronto, opened on Remembrance Day in 1955.  The building was intended both as a centre for student activities and as a tribute to the members of the university community who had given their lives in the Second World War.  The centerpiece of the building is a large stone fireplace with a marble memorial tablet engraved with the names of the fallen soldiers.  To learn more about the heritage of the Memorial Union Building click on the pdf below.

Memorial Union Building

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

93 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B2


Murray Building   Library 

Heritage Information:  The Murray Building, designed by noted Regina architect Kioshi Izumi working under H.K. Black Architect, was built between 1954-56.  It is architecturally significant as one of the first modernist buildings constructed at the University of Saskatchewan, and the first to use a full structural steel frame.  The Murray Building is also significant as the university's first formal library building. To learn more about the heritage of the Murray Building click on the pdf below.

Murray Building

Zone:  6
location:  View Map
Address:  

3 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A4


Observatory    

Heritage Information:  The University of Saskachewan Observatory is a charming building and an iconic symbol of the University of Saskatchewan.  In an annual report, the first president of the university, Dr. Walter Murray called the Observatory, "a gem of beauty and convenience," and cited the Observatory and the Memorial Gates as the most beautiful structures on the campus.  To learn more about the heritage of the Observatory click on the pdf inserted below.

Observatory

Zone:  2
Address:  

108 Wiggins Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E6


Peter MacKinnon Building    

Heritage Information:  The Peter MacKinnon Building, formerly named the College Building, is a highly significant heritage building at the University of Saskatchewan, constructed between 1910 and 1913.  It is the centrepiece of a collection of original stone buildings located around 'The Bowl'.  The Canadian Register of Historic Places has called this group of buildings "the finest collection of Collegiate Gothic university buildings in Canada."  To learn more about the heritage of the Peter MacKinnon Building click on the pdf below.

Peter MacKinnon Building

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

107 Administration Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A2


Physics Building    

Heritage Information:  The Physics Building is a significant heritage building at the University of Saskatchewan, constructed between 1919 and 1921, and designed by the architectural firm of David Brown and Hugh Vallance of Montreal.  It has heritage value as one of a collection of early stone buildings located around "The Bowl", a large landscaped courtyard forming the heart of the campus.  To learn more about the heritage of the Physics Building click on the link below.

Physics Building

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

116 Science Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E2


Place Riel Student Centre    

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

1 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5A3


Poultry Centre    

Heritage Information:  With construction likely completed in 1918, the Poultry Science Building is one of the earliest University of Saskatchewan buildings.  It was one of the first five buildings tendered, by virtue of its age and distinctive architectural style, the Poultry Science Building is a heritage asset.  It also played an important role in carryng out the mandate of the University of Saskatchewan as an agricultural college.  To learn more about the heritage of the Poultry Science Building click on the pdf below.

Poultry Science Building

Zone:  3
location:  View Map

President's Residence    

Heritage Information:  The President's Residence has significant heritage value due to its age, use, cultural associations, architectural quality and state of preservation.  The President's Residence was built to provide a home for the first President of the University of Saskachewan and his successors.  The first President, Walter Murray, lived in the house from the time of its completion until the end of his tenure in 1937.  To learn more about the heritage of the President's Residence click on the pdf below.

Presidents Residence

Zone:  2
location:  View Map
Address:  

101 President's Place
Saskatoon SK


Qu’Appelle Hall Addition    

Heritage Information:  Qu'Appelle Hall was the second residence hall built at the University of Saskatchewan.  It is an excellent and characteristic example of Collegiate Gothic architecture, although the full scope and detail of the original design were never realized.  Construction began in 1914, Qu'Appelle was built during the First World War.  To learn more about the heritage of Qu'Appelle Hall click on the pdf below.

QuAppelle Hall

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

91 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E8


Rayner Dairy Research and Teaching Facility    

Zone:  3
Address:  

101 East Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B9


Reproduction Centre    

Zone:  4

Research Annex    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

105 Maintenance Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C5


Residence, All   Aspen Hall, Assiniboine Hall, Athabasca Hall, Birch Hall, Graduate Hall, Pine Hall, Qu'Appelle Hall, Qu'Apelle Hall Addition, Saskatchewan Hall, Seager Wheeler Hall, Souris Hall, Spruce Hall, Wollaston Hall 

R.J.F. Smith Centre for Aquatic Ecology    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

50 Maintenance Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C4


Rugby Chapel    

Zone:  2

Rutherford Rink    

Zone:  3
location:  View Map
Address:  

69 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B1


Ryan-Dube Equine Performance Centre    

Zone:  4
Address:  

103 Veterinary Court
Saskatoon SK


Surplus Equipment Recycling Facility    

Zone:  4
Address:  

136 Veterinary Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E3


Saskatchewan Hall    

Heritage Information:  Saskatchewan Hall is architecturally and historically significant for its age, Collegiate Gothic architectural style and its status as the first student residence at the University of Saskatchewan. One of the first three buildings approved by the Board of Governors in 1909, a student residence was seen as crucial to the young university. To learn more about the heritage of Saskatchewan Hall click on the pdf below.

Saskatchewan Hall

Zone:  not currently zoned
location:  View Map
Address:  

91 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E8


Saskatchewan Centre for Cyclotron Sciences    

Zone:  4

St. Thomas More College    

Heritage Information:  St. Thomas More College (STM) is the only federated college at the University of Saskatchewan.  Its first home was a wood-framed building called Newman Hall, also known as the 'white house,' built at the corner of College Drive and Bottomley Avenue in 1927.  In 1954 construction began on a 'greystone' building on the same site, and the original building was eventually demolished.  To learn more about the heritage of St. Thomas More College click on the pdf below.

St. Thomas More College

Zone:  2
location:  View Map
Address:  

1437 College Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 0W6


Stone Barn    

Zone:  not currently zoned
location:  View Map
Address:  

5 Farm Lane
Saskatoon SK


Thorvaldson Building - Spinks Addition    

Heritage Information:  Originally named the Chemistry Building, the Thorvaldson Building was designed by Architect David R. Brown of Montreal.  Although preliminary drawings for the building were complete in 1913, the structure was not built until 1924 due to the disruption of the First World War, followed by economic constraints.  To learn more about the heritage of the Thorvaldson Building click on the link below.

Thorvaldson Building

Zone:  1
location:  View Map
Address:  

110 Science Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C9


Toxicology Centre    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

44 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B3


University Club    

Heritage Information:  The University Club was originally built as the Residence of the Dean of Agriculture.  It was completed in 1912 at a cost of $20,742 and was among the first buildings constructed on campus.  Its status as an early priority for the university reflects the importance of the College of Agriculture to the institution.  The University of Saskachewan was the first in Canada to incorporate an agricultural college as an integral component.  To learn more about the heritage of the University Club click on the pdf below.

University Club

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

101 Administration Place
Saskatoon SK
S7N 4J8


University Services Building    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

110 Maintenance Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5C5


Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization Laboratory    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

120 Veterinary Road
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5E3


Waste Management Facility    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

47 Innovation Boulevard
Saskatoon SK
S7N 2T8


Western College of Veterinary Medicine    

Zone:  4
location:  View Map
Address:  

52 Campus Drive
Saskatoon SK
S7N 5B4


Williams Building    

Heritage Information:  The Williams Building is a handsome brick structure, designed in a simplified Collegiate Gothic style by the office of the provincial Architect, Harold Dawson, and constructed in 1931.  It was originally built as a School for the Deaf, commissioned by the provincial Department of Education.  It was a residential school, with an enrolment of 114 students between the ages of 6 and 18. To learn more about the heritage of the Williams Building click on the pdf below.

Williams Building

Zone:  5
location:  View Map
Address:  

221 Cumberland Ave N.
Saskatoon SK
S7N 1M3